Saturday, October 31, 2009

Retrieval (again)

I went under this morning for my second ever egg retrieval. After a slow start on the left ovary, the latest sono had shown some 20 mature follicles and several more that were right on the verge. This morning, we got 21 eggs. Only 12 were mature, and 5 more could mature in culture, but just like last time, I'm really not counting on it. Hopefully, we will have a good crop of embryos on Tuesday. I feel like if we are lucky enough to get to a 3 day transfer, that's all I can ask.

The second time around, I knew a little better what to expect and we mentioned to the anesthesiologist that waking up was so hard last time. Brutal, in fact. Last time, I was shaking violently for 30 minutes and I had no clue about anything. Whatever this guy did, he did it well, and I woke up warm and more or less aware.

A friend of mine kept ARB while we were busy in the hospital. MTB and I considered trying to tag team her, but in the end, it seemed better that she didn't have to spend the morning in the hospital with all the germs. ARB did well and didn't cry much except when my friend walked more than 2 feet away. My baby girl is so easy going, and I'm glad that she wasn't stressed out.

Sooo, at this point, transfer is scheduled for 12:30 Tuesday afternoon. At least, I really hope so.